Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Way Back Wednesday - "B" is for Betsy



When Carolyn Haywood (1898 - 1990) published "B" is for Betsy in 1939, she probably didn't think that 70 years later, several generations of children would have enjoyed - and are still enjoying - a little girl named Betsy. I loved Betsy - she is the reason I love to read because I got started with all her books. Betsy lived a very normal life, and I tried hard to mimick her very action.


In this first book, Betsy is scared about going to first grade, but it turns out school is a great place. She learns about tadpoles and the true meaning of Thanksgiving, makes new friends, and has more fun than she'd ever imagined.


I was 7 years old and in the second grade when my favorite librarian, Miss Gash, recommended "B is for Betsy". After I finished the book, I proceeded to check out the other books in the series. Even though the stories are slightly outdated, the appeal of Betsy and her friends transcend time. I read these books to my daughters, and I plan to read them to my grandchildren as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment